Welcome to Aberdeen for a Fairer World.
Our Aim is to educate and enable people in the North East of Scotland to take action to create a fairer world
For more than 30 years we have been raising awareness, promoting understanding of global concerns and supporting active global citizenship.
Read our latest annual report, from 2017-18, here: AFW Charities report 2018
Currently We Are
- a leading member of the Aberdeen Steering Group raising awareness of fair trade and initiating linked activities
- working with local authorities, schools, teachers and pupils, through our education section, the Montgomery DEC, to develop global learning / learning for sustainability / citizenship activities across the curriculum
- a key member of the International Development Education Association of Scotland (IDEAS), a network of organisations and individuals involved in Development Education and Education for Global Citizenship across Scotland
- facilitating initiatives such as One World Week and One World Day through our local partner networks
- focusing on the Global Goals for Sustainable Development, which aim to end extreme poverty, fight inequality & injustice and fix climate change between 2015 and 2030.
Located on the second floor of the Girlguiding Aberdeen building, 45 Victoria Street AB10 1UX, our office offers advice, training facilities and a small resource library which is free to teachers, schools and the wider community.
Opportunities are available for volunteers
Aberdeen for a Fairer World MDEC appreciates all forms of volunteer help in our activities. We have projects in the office and off-campus that always welcome outside help. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information or if you are interested in volunteering.
Founded over 30 years ago as the Third World Centre, running the first solely Fair Trade retail outlet in the Kirk of St Nicholas, our activities grew as we led the Aberdeen Fairtrade City campaign, achieving Fair Trade status for the city in 2004, and also developed the Montgomery Development Education Centre (MDEC).
Currently AFW’s education work is funded by the Scottish Government and the Department for International Development (as facilitators of the Global Learning Programme Scotland in the North East of Scotland).
Membership is free to anyone interested in global concerns and keen to support our aims.
For further info contact us at: email@example.com or call 01224 620111